Monday 13 July 2009

"Letting Everyone Down Would Be My Greatest Unhappiness"

I've received a couple of verbal slaps on the wrists these past few days for not updating this blog as regularly as I should do. I'd like to spin some elaborate excuse about being knocked unconscious by a rogue elk, waking up in the middle of an unfamiliar forest and being adopted by a pack of wolves with plenty of love to give but no broadband connection. Really I would.

Unfortunately the mundane truth of it all is that I have been partying partying partying, and have consequently been far too lazy even venture out of bed until 4pm most days. Win.

This volley of parties, lie-ins and copious amount of cake-eating may have wiped me out for a couple of days, but it did also get me thinking about an idea for this blog. Yes indeedy. As I was lying in bed yesterday morning, sleeping mask over eyes and strong cup of tea in my hand, I was reminded of the ultimate, original party girl, who loved to indulge in champagne, gambling and good times until the sun rose, and who would then collapse into bed until the late afternoon whereupon she would rise, get dolled up, eat large quantities of cake and do it all again. I'm talking of course about Marie Antoinette, 17th Century Queen of France and in my opinion the originator of glamour as we know it (although Stephen Gundle, author of 'Glamour, A History' vehemently disagrees, claiming George III, Prince Regent as worthy of that label. I say bollocks to Gundle, MA was lightyears ahead of her time).



Those not familiar with Marie Antoinettes history would do well to watch Sofia Coppola's biopic, which is based on what is generally considered to be the most historically accurate biography of the former Queens life - 'Marie Antoinette: The Journey' by Antonia Fraser. In fact, even those who could recite her history backwards should watch this film. It's immense. The attention to detail is so precise and the composition of every single shot is perfect. It's a film so beautiful that I could happily turn the sound down and just admire it like I would a Monet or Da Vinci. It captures the essence of Marie Antoinettes life at Versailles perfectly, whilst not adhering to the guidelines of your average period drama. Coppola injects kooky details, such as a modern soundtrack featuring The Strokes, Radio Dept and The Cure, and this blink and you'll miss it shot of the Queen putting on her shoes with a pair of baby blue Converse boots by her side.


In terms of style, this film, along with Ciao! Manhattan and Bande a Part, was a huge, huge influence on me. Kirsten Dunst was a brilliant choice to play the lead, and everything about her appearance in this film, from her waif-like figure to the elaborate blonde wigs and beautiful renaissance dresses inspired me to think about fashion in a completely new way. For the first time in my life I found myself drawn away from my staple opaques and mini-dresses to lighter, pastelly tones embellished with ruffles, beads, bows and embroidery, satin kitten heel shoes with diamante buckles and chiffon trim. Put simply, I did a complete sartorial about-turn in the space of 3 hours.


I put together a Polyvore piece of Antoinette-inspired attire. I'd like to think the late Queen herself would have approved...

In other news, I've applied for an internship at Amelia Magazine in London. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm aware that I'm most probably hugely under-qualified (I'm guessing 5 years unpaid writing experience and no degree isn't hugely appealing to a prospective employer). Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Mr Space cadet has also set up a blog that can be found at http://cowmare.blogspot.com
It's quite funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment